February 12, 2015

1 | Beginnings

Someone asked whether being a nurse is what I expected it would be. I am discovering that being a nurse‬ means a cookie eaten at 1 A.M. on the way out to the parking garage can count as both lunch & dinner. 

It's her face when she lights up & says, "Oh, I'm so glad you're my nurse today! I was just telling my husband that you were my favorite." 


It means feeling 2 inches tall when you don't know the answer to the Infectious Disease doctor's question.


It's the tears that come an hour after your shift when you finally unwind enough to realize how overwhelmed you were. 


It's the joy of discovering that your patient is also your brother in Christ. 


It's the uncertainty, triumphs, failures, & continual blessings that come rapid-fire in just 8 hours.


It's the coworkers alongside you. 


It's laughing until your sides hurt... about things normal people will never understand.


It's feeling more fallible than you ever imagined, & more thankful than you thought possible. 


It's feeling privileged to share a small part in so many stories.  


It's being amazed by the intricate design & resiliency of the human body. 


...and at the end of the day, it's the comfort of your own pillow at 3:00 A.M. 
when you can't sleep because you physically hear hospital alarms echoing in your ears. 


Being a nurse means being human‬. I wouldn't trade it for the world.


No comments:

Post a Comment